Planet Beer

This is a blog about making beer, primarily ME making beer. However, it will also teach you how to homebrew---either all grain or with little cans of goo. Enjoy!

Monday, October 02, 2006

Ginger Porter
















Photos: top, the ginger ready to go into the boil. It's in a cheesecloth sock. below, the ginger root prior to grating.

G'day!
Recently, I attempted to find out how much ginger was too much. I have to say, I think I've found out. So, you might want to use around 2 ounces of fresh root, rather than the 4.75 ounces I used. Anywayz, here's the recipe:

8 pounds Crisp pale 2-row
1 pound C40 (crystal malt)
1 pound chocolate malt
1 pound munich malt
2 ounces black patent malt
as usual, I add 1 tsp. gypsum to the water to buffer. Also, this mash was done at 140 degrees, to give it a very dry taste (rather overboard, imho---it's REALLY dry)
2 ounces of Willamette hops, 4.5% alpha, all in at start of boil, which is for 60 minutes. Yeast is White Labs Irish Ale, I don't think the White Labs is nearly active enough, and would prefer Wyeast if it was available locally. It took over 24 hours to get active fermentation.
Add 2-4 ounces grated ginger root at 30 minutes from End of Boil, 1 tsp Irish Moss 15 minutes from EOB.

I'll probably bottle most of this, as it seems to need aging. Starting gravity was 1.062, final gravity 1.015. Alcohol by Volume, 6%.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home